Layering innovation over tradition
Taking on the challenge of food sustainability
Marketing Department, Imperial Hotel, Tokyo
Manager, Marketing and Planning
Restaurant Department, Imperial Hotel, Tokyo
Imperial Hotel, Tokyo began life as Japan's guest house for visiting dignitaries more than 130 years ago. When they celebrated their 130th anniversary in 2020, they chose “More Imperial than ever,” as their commemorative slogan to express the way they are constantly evolving on a foundation of tradition to lead the industry in food sustainability and environmental response. To find out more about their unique initiatives, we talked to innovators in both the restaurant department, which welcomes many customers through their doors on a daily basis, and the corporate sales department catering to MICE needs.
Responding to changing customer expectations in an evolving world
In 2020, we surveyed customers on how important implementation of SDGs is when selecting a venue for events or dinners. Approximately 30% of companies responded, "very important," and a further 60% or so selected "it's not essential but it is important." This means that a total of 90% or more respondents are conscious of the SDGs. This figure is larger than I expected
Cutting food waste seen in the conventional buffet restaurant
We've also begun offering a new dinner plan called Intimate, serving up head chef Sugimoto's prix-fixe menus in private rooms in the main restaurant. For this, we create a customized menu for each diner who makes a reservation, allowing us to tailor it to special dinners or entertaining needs themed on sustainability.